Thursday 30 October 2014

My Sahara Trek Diary by Karen Stead #1

The train departed at 12.13 a.m. and I had a nervous feeling inside.  What on earth had I let myself in for this time?

It had all begun when I was sitting on the couch feeling very sorry for myself.  Two broken bones in
one foot and the world had stood still.  No walking with Bertie, my dog, no networking in London.  Sitting watching the world go round was very frustrating and expensive .

My laptop pinged I had a new email, even as bored as I was.  Even if  junk, I might as well read it.  Amailia, Anitas daughter and Marketing Manager from the Family Business, had sent me some mail.  It looked interesting but from where I was at the moment, anything would have been.  However, I read the email a couple of times and checked out the Fields of Life website and I was hooked.  So what if my foot was broken in two places; bones mend dont they?!  There were quite a few questions to which I needed answers so I picked up the phone, but I knew in my heart I was going and so I did .
The journey had begun but where would it end and was I up for the challenge?  I had just about raised the £1,500 for the trip and I had been walking miles in my new desert boots and desert socks. These two purchases were the best money spent or so my feet would find out.  Bertie had also lost weight with all the additional walks he had been on.

The journey into London was uneventful, changing at Victoria then on to West Malling to Anitas home.  I felt welcomed and knew that I had an early start so to bed I went.  I kept thinking about the conversation we had had over dinner.  Spicy food, no bathroom facilities, no access to a shower, putting a tent up .  Why had I not done some more research?  I would ask myself that quite a few times over the coming days.  What had I let myself in for?

Just outside of Marrakesh, I found myself sharing a hotel room with Angie who, for some reason unknown to me or Angie, I called Jackie or Anita. She was extremely kind and did not get offended. However, when I started killing every fly in the vicinity, I think she decided that perhaps I might have OCD.  Dinner over with me eating some bread and fruit; I thought I should have brought along some breakfast bars for the journey.  Eating was going to be interesting!  Jim the guide was a tad concerned and asked if I ate spicy food at all.  My reply was NO and the team wondered what I thought I would be eating in Morocco?  So the challenges increased and we had not started the journey as yet.  Breakfast was edible and I made up some sandwiches for the journey.  Good job really as I think I would have been quite hungry.

As we travelled to our destination, I fell in love with the scenery and the Atlas Mountains were amazing. The team fell into slumber and peace prevailed whilst we climbed and descended to our ultimate goal.  Villages were passed through and toilet breaks were taken.  My heart sank as we were shown where the toilets were at the last village.  Flies and a distinctive aroma that I could not place crept over me as I climbed the stairs.  Hilary stepped out from behind the door and her face told me what I did not wish to know.  I went downstairs into the fresh air and was met by Jim.  I asked him if we were stopping elsewhere and the answer was no.  He told me in no uncertain terms that I had to pay a visit or else I would make myself ill.  I approached Angie and asked her to accompany me.  Feeling quite a fool, I gritted my teeth and not for the last time on the trip the sense of nausea and stupidity wrapped itself around me like a cocoon.

No comments: