Monday 3 November 2014

My Sahara Diary, By Karen Stead #3


I would have thought that I might have been worried but I was quite calm and had every confidence in our guide.  He was extremely intelligent and well travelled.  He was an entrepreneur and I had every respect for him.  His name was Mammon.  He located the rest of the company and off we went again into the sand and the wind.  

On our arrival at the camp, I noticed we had a visitor; it was a goat.  The guides were celebrating Eid and the goat was part of the festival.  We named him Gary.  The demise of Gary will be noted in a later paragraph.  Lunch stop was a delight and the team were all very happy to drop on to a mat and lie down.  Even though the wind and sand blew around us, we all lay down and had a snooze.  I lay with my hat over my face shivering.  The sun had been too much for me and I decided in the morning I would make sure I covered myself up.  As soon as we stopped, the flies arrived.  When the wind had abated, lunch was served.  Fresh salad and pasta with melon for afterwards.  How the cook managed to prepare and serve such things was beyond me.  He only had a gas stove.  It was decided that as the wind had not calmed down as much as the guides would have liked, we would stay put.  Which was fine by everyone as the first part of the trek had been quite difficult.  When the sun had got up it had been really hot and then with the wind it made walking quite hard.  We were all glad of a rest.

 Later in the afternoon, we all decided to walk up to a dune and see the sunset.  This was going to be part of our routine.  Sheri we named Mary Poppins because she always had something nice that she pulled out of her bag - wine, sweets, hula hoops and energy bars.  Sheri had also brought some wine with her and some peanuts.  We all sat on the dune with a tiny amount of wine and watched the sun set.  It was so delightful and yet eerie.  We were sitting sipping wine in the middle of the Sahara without a care in the world watching one of the most beautiful sunsets.  It was to be a very special routine.  After walking all day and being extremely tired and hot, the evenings were a delight and so restful.  Sitting on a sand dune and watching the sun sink and the moon rise was as good as a Horlicks at home.  Really relaxing and peaceful.

The camels settled down for the night.  The tents had been kindly erected by the guides and dinner was served.  We had some really lovely evenings sitting around the campsite with our guides.  They sang and made music with us using empty water drums.  It was such fun.  We found out that one of the camel guides was a real nomad.  He lived in the desert with his dad and owned one camel.  I cant recollect his name but Angie my friend, who was such a lovely lady, could sign and took everyone by surprise by starting speaking to him.  He had never spoken to anyone outside his village before and he was over the moon that he could interact with us this way.  It was quite moving and I think some of us shed a tear.  The camel guides are the only ones who had taken time out to learn how to speak to him in sign language.  The interaction between them all was so nice.  They had a sense of humour and played tricks on each other.  They were quite funny to watch. 

That evening, we decided to sleep under the stars.  I was rather nervous, as I was not quite sure I really wanted to do this.  Everyone else was keen and I didnt want to look like the odd one out (or look like a fool).  I hid my fear and set my mat down near to Angie who I felt I could trust and who, if anything happened, would know what to do.  Chris, one of the lads who was forever teasing me, stated in the morning, Karen will have had her sleeping liner plus sleeping bag right up to her nose.  He was not wrong.  However, Lolly, Hailey, Nick and Amelia had stopped laughing and had gone to sleep.  All was quiet except for the grunting noises of the camels, which I found so comforting.  The moon was so bright and the stars were beautiful.  You felt you could put your hand out and touch them and become as one with the universe.  I spent an age just thanking God for allowing me the privilege of being here.  My prayers said (the last one being, I put my trust in you O Lord please dont let anything happen to me this evening and dont let anything come into my sleeping bag. Amen.), I fell fast asleep.  What made me awake early that morning I have no idea.  I awoke looking straight into the heavens and almost at once saw a shooting star, one after another after another.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven,  as I had never seen anything so spectacular and stunning in all my life.




No comments: